At Momentum, we believe that learning is a lifelong journey. To encourage continued education, we’ve put together a short list of fun and free (or very affordable) ways to learn new things, even when you’ve finished your formal education.
1. Incorporate podcasts into your daily commute.
3. Give yourself a reading challenge. One hour a day, one book a week, or one book a month, it’s up to you. Choose a book (or a blog) that will propel you in your career, educate you on your mental or physical health, or teach you about something you’ve always been curious about. All reading, no matter the subject, will expand your mind and shift your perspective.
"Whether you want to uncover the secrets of the universe, or you just want to pursue a career in the 21st century, basic computer programming is an essential skill to learn."STEPHEN HAWKING
5. Substitute late night comedies or action movies with documentaries. This is the perfect way to learn while relaxing and recharging. Get cozy, invite friends over, grab a bowl of popcorn, and expand your mind.
6. Learn a new language with Duolingo. It’s free! (C’est gratuit! ¡Es gratis!)
"If you’re the smartest person you know, it’s time to know some new people."ROBIN S. SHARMA
8. Challenge yourself to meet someone new, every month or every week. Ask an employee at your dream company to meet for a coffee over LinkedIn, or simply talk to the person next to you in line. You never know what you can learn from them.
9. Use YouTube to learn how to do something you’ve always wanted to do. Learn guitar, how to knit, or how to brew your own beer. There are YouTube videos for absolutely anything and everything. Find a friend who wants to learn with you, so you can hold each other accountable.
10. Sit in on university lectures. Many universities will allow you to sit in on (audit) their classes. If there is a course you find interesting being offered at a university near you, find out if you can audit it. You’ll learn something new, it’s free, and you get to miss out on the assignments and exams.
Challenge yourself to learn something new this fall, whether it is learning a skill that will propel you forward in your career, or simply something that sparks joy for you! Share what you’re learning with us on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook!